The next day it was time to review the basics. I gave some instructions and helpful reminders before placing the Monsters on the Move #2 cards around the room. Then students were given a partner, one ruler to share, their measurement packets, and a pencil. They were so careful taking turns and making sure their partner was measuring carefully:
A few days later we worked on comparing the lengths of different school supplies. The first six cards were fairly easy because all of the supplies are lined up with the zero. The second set of cards had school supplies randomly placed on a ruler. The students had some interesting conversations about how to solve them.
On another day we worked on the Measuring Monsters activity. In this case, students looked at different monsters standing next to a centimeter ruler. They had to record how tall each monster was.
Afterwards, we used the data to create a line plot. Finally, I reviewed our graphing unit by asking questions that the students had to answer using the data on the line plot.
Here are some close-ups of the pages from the pack that were used above: