we are a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Presidents’ Day Video
I like to start with a short video. This one gives a brief overview (less than two minutes) of Presidents’ Day. Once we have the basics of when and why we celebrate Presidents’ Day, we’re ready to dig deeper and focus on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
When learning about Washington and Lincoln, there are so many books to choose from. Here are my favorites that I use for both guided reading and shared reading. You probably have them in your classroom library, too!
- George Washington (National Geographic Kids)
- Abraham Lincoln (National Geographic Kids)
- Weird, But True: Presidents (National Geographic Kids)
- Abraham Lincoln (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker)
- I am George Washington (Ordinary People Change the World)
- I am Abraham Lincoln (Ordinary People Change the World)
- George Washington (Easy Reader Biographies)
- Abraham Lincoln (Easy Reader Biographies)
- Who Was George Washington?
- Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
- What Does the President Do?
- Presidents’ Day (Rookie Read-Aloud Holidays)
- Celebrating Presidents’ Day: What is a President?
- Presidents’ Day (First Step Nonfiction)
Presidents’ Day Activities and Resources
But that’s not all. I also love to combine our new learning with a craft.
You can read more about these projects in this post.
To find even more ideas for Presidents’ Day, take a peek at my Pinterest board.